Monday, March 17, 2014

Antique Medicine Cabinet Redo

Hunted from my parents basement of 'extras' came this antique medicine cabinet.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take a before picture.  It was white, which cracks and peeling paint. 
 
After a LOT of sanding and filling in some of the gaps this is what we had..

 
I made my own chalk paint using:
1C Flat Paint
1 Tbs Unsanded Grout
Mix well.
 
I put two coats of the chalk paint on and let it dry.  Since it was a nice day outside, I only let it dry for a few hours ( I was ready to try the next step!).  I used medium grit sandpaper and sanded through some areas.  Be random~ take some down to the wood, other spots just ruff up the paint.  The cabinet got a good wipe down and it was ready for the final step.
 

 
I put stain ( I prefer Minwax) over the entire surface.  Let it sit for a few minutes and wipe off the excess.  This allows the stain to cover the paint and seep into the parts where the wood is showing. It took several days for the finish to dry completely. 
 
I used the same technique on an antique armoire for my Mom (below).
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment