Monday, August 24, 2015

Infertility: Seeking Answers

During my D and C and laparoscopy the doctor discovered some mild endometriosis and adhesions.  She took care of the issues she found and I was sent home to recover. She also noted that my left fallopian tube appears to be blocked. At my six week follow up she suggested I get another opinion (this would be our 3rd) from another doctor out of Allentown.  We were on the fence about paying for another visit (if not covered by insurance we would have to pay $675), after all, we had two opinions already.  I'm happy to say that we did take her advice and visit the doctor she recommended.  

Doctor R has been running tests and working hard to gather all possible information before giving us a diagnosis/probability.  We stand by our initial initial thoughts of not going as far as IVF.  Since visiting our newest doctor he has diagnosed PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome).  He has prescribed Metformin for the PCOS, birth control, as well as other medications to help with the endometriosis.  Once I take the medications for 6 weeks he wants to re-check my fallopian tube.   

About a week ago I woke up at 3 AM with terrible pain in my lower abdomen.  I tried convincing myself I could get comfortable and return to sleep, but I couldn't even hardly move.  Poor Kevin was woken up to rush me to the ER where they determined a cyst had most likely ruptured.  However, I still had another remaining. 

Yesterday was our follow-up with Doctor R about the cyst.  He feels that I probably have endometriosis in my right ovary. The medicine he had previously prescribed should give a better indication after all of the re-tests have been performed.  

Doctor R had also sent Kevin to be re-checked for the male factor infertility.  While we knew there were issues we were unaware of several that he uncovered.  Kevin has an infection which can be transmitted to me causing miscarriage, pre-term labor, brain and spine defects.  We will be on antibiotics simultaneously and then he will be re-checked.  It was also found that his body is producing sperm anti-bodies.  Basically, all forces are against us.

Doctor R has been waiting to gather ALL information, and wait for all medications to take hold before making any recommendations of future treatment options.  He did mention during yesterday's visit that he doesn't feel we are candidates for IUI any longer given all factors.  

While yesterday's visit was highly informative there was little information that was truly "shocking". We knew about my issues (mainly) and we knew about the male factor problems.  Despite what I already knew I have found the last 24 hours extremely difficult.  I always have ups and downs and I will use my support system to help me through.  

I cannot express enough how vital it is to have a strong support system while enduring this struggle.  My husband lets me vent and eventually brings me back to reality (i.e. I can't stay mad at friends who are pregnant).  I have several girlfriends who let me call, text, meet for coffee and just listen.  They offer support whenever they are able and they don't tell me to "relax".  While things are difficult to understand and comprehend I am grateful daily for their support.


This blog exists as a way to let some of my emotions surface, as well as possibly help those in a similar  struggle. I am always open to questions/comments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment